Student ULB Program FAQ

Frequently asked questions…

Q1: Who may access the Student ULB Program?

A: The Student ULB program may be accessed by students who are producing for course credit or as part of their school curriculum.

Q2: Is there an application fee?

A:   No.

Q3: Am I required to compensate Performers under the Student ULB Agreement?

A: The Student ULB Program does not require the producer to pay Performers a session fee unless they negotiate one.  If you do pay a session fee, UBCP/ACTRA does not require you to make deductions under this program.

Q4: What insurance is required under the Student ULB Agreement?

Accident on Set insurance from AFBS is required for all unpaid Union Members. Please see for additional information, or contact the Program Administrator at

WorkSafe BC insurance is required by BC Law if any Performers are receiving compensation (payment is not required under the Student ULB Program, but may be negotiated with Performers).

If your production includes stunts, UBCP/ACTRA requires you to have Commercial General Liability coverage (please see Schedule A for details).

Q5: Is it possible to include a non-Canadian Performer in my production?

A: All cast must be Canadian Citizens, Permanent Residents, or International Students cast as part of their program credit.

Q6: How many UBCP/ACTRA members must I cast?  Am I permitted to cast non-Union members?

A: Many productions have both Union and non-Union members.  There is no limitation or restriction as to how many UBCP/ACTRA members you must cast. You may cast all UBCP/ACTRA members, or just one.

Q7: If a non-member performs on an ultra-low budget production, may they use the performance as a credit for membership?

A: No.  Working on an ultra-low budget production does not count as a credit toward Union membership.

Q8: We may shoot at a location in which we will require the Performers to stay overnight. Is this permitted?

A: The Ultra-Low Budget Program may allow Performers to stay overnight at a distant location. Please contact an Ultra-Low Budget administrator for more information about our travel requirements.

Q9: Why do we need to include SIN numbers on the Final Cast List?

A: UBCP/ACTRA requires the address, SIN number, and number of days worked for each Performer.  This information is used by UBCP/ACTRA for the sole purpose of distributing residuals that may be owed to Performers should your project generate revenue.

Q10: We’ve made some revenue on our production! What’s next?

A: Under the terms of the Student Film Agreement, the producer shall pay Performers an amount equal to 5% of the Distributor’s Gross Revenue.  If your production generates revenue, contact our Distribution Department at (604) 689-0727

Do you have a question that hasn’t been answered? E-mail or call (604) 689-0727